Thursday, February 7, 2013

We Are Our Own Worst Enemy

I have gotten very active on Twitter, usually with a pro-Israel message and retort. In doing so, I have met a few interesting people, and had many enlightening conversations, that have taught me a lot about the world, and myself.

The beginning of any Aliyah dream is ownership. Ownership of your life, of your "destiny" (the Lech Lecha), and of the Land that G-d has Given to us. If you don't have those three beliefs, you won't take the plunge and pack off to the world's most insane beach property.

That self-assured attitude of "this is MY Land, no ifs ands or buts about it" can get alot of people in the world to attack you - how can you mistreat and abuse the Palestinians, you're murderers and thieves (a double whammy of "kol haposel b'mumo, b'atzmo hu posel" as well as the first Rashi in Bereishis), you should go back to Europe, or the US, etc.

I engage in lightly insulting banter with these people on Twitter, mostly for my own amusement than any hope of changing their warped perspectives.

There is one person I was vehemently and vociferously arguing with, including the obligatory name calling and personal insults that are par for the course in Internet-based communications. On a whim, I asked her why she is so interested and invested in the Middle East (she lives in Europe).

She tells me, it's because her daughter is an Arab, and she is born of Jewish blood.

This was shocking.

It turns out her mom abandoned her at birth, and she was raised in an agnostic home. Any armchair psychologist can figure this one out - marry an Arab, oppose "Zionism"...

We just may be our own worst enemies.

No comments:

Post a Comment